Sunday, November 18, 2007

Gene Simmons 1, Internet Downloaders 800


Gene Simmons of Kiss had some great points in a recent interview in Billboard. Here's a couple of choice quotes:

"The record industry doesn't have a f*cking clue how to make money. It's only their fault for letting foxes get into the henhouse and then wondering why there's no eggs or chickens. Every little college kid, every freshly-scrubbed little kid's face should have been sued off the face of the earth. They should have taken their houses and cars and nipped it right there in the beginning. Those kids are putting 100,000 to a million people out of work."

"Doesn't affect me. But imagine being a new band with dreams of getting on stage and putting out your own record. Forget it."

On Radiohead's "pay what you want" approach:

"...that's not a business model that works. I open a store and say "Come on in and pay whatever you want." Are you on f*cking crack? Do you really believe that's a business model that works?"

And this sums up pretty much how I feel:

"There is nothing in me that wants to go in there and do new music. How are you going to deliver it? How are you going to get paid for it if people can just get it for free?"

I agree with him on all points, yet reading the responses at digg.com you would think that he was advocating eating babies and raping grandmothers. The responses start with "Fuck KISS," and do downhill from there. People vow to download the entire Kiss discography, or they vow to never download anything by Kiss. It's hilarious, except when it gets anti-semetic. These creepy parasites feel so entitled to free music that they get their panties in a bunch when anyone suggests that maybe they shouldn't do that, to the point that it generated over 800 responses.

And amazingly, no one gets what he's saying. He says that the industry should have reacted immediately to sue everyone involved, he doesn't advocate doing that now. He says it doesn't affect him, but he worries about the future for new acts. They just don't get it, and never will. The war is over, it's lost, and I don't feel like making new music anymore. It's depressing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came upon your blog from Scott' Adams page. I'm sorry the filesharing situation is upsetting you - I wish I could think of something encouraging to say!

My only thoughts are
1. the entitlement culture is much more widespread than music - what did we do to deserve all that "free" hydrocarbon energy that maintains our economies?
2. the 'Internet Warriors' aren't representative of humanity as a whole, I don't think
3. it is striking how little generousity there is in the whole "free" music debate

Also I like this quote from the Bhagavad Gita - "You have the right to work, but for work's sake only. You have no right to the fruits of work and must never be your motive in working." At least 2,000 years old, so not getting at us musicians in particular.

I'm just starting out as a serious artist - not sure where I will get to, but am focussing on integrity and lots of practice at the moment, and trusting the rest will work out ..

Respectfully,

Ben

Bill Wolfer said...

I hope the internet warriors aren't representative of humanity as a whole. That's too depressing to think about.

I too focus on integrity. I never release a recording that I haven't put everything I have into it. I do work for work's sake, bit I am not living as a sadhu or a monk, and I need to see a few fruits to keep the rent paid.

So far, none of the people who think music should be free have taken me up on my offer to come over here and work for me for free for an afternoon.

But you're moving in the right direction. Good luck with your music.